Sunday, March 30, 2008

Another check-mark on our list!

We completed the remaining 4.5 hours of adoption training this week! These last few hours seemed more "meaty" than the first 5.5 hours. The first of the classes was "Separation, Loss, and Grief" which taught us the phases that an adopted child goes through and training to help prepare us to help her resolve any intense feelings. I must say that I never imagined a baby who is less than 12 months old could have so many issues!

The other class was "Multicultural and Transracial Adoption." It addressed the unique challenges and rewards of parenting children from different cultures and ethnicities. It gave tips on how parents should handle stereotypes and bigotry. Adoption is truly opening my eyes to many challenges that I never thought I would have to face.

So, now what? We still have a few documents to get for our dossier. Stephen said he will go to get his physical this week (for anyone that talks to him on a regular basis- you might need to offer some encouragement for this task!). We have located someone who knows a County Sheriff to help us with our criminal background checks and police letters. And we still need to get in touch with our accountant to get a letter for Stephen since he is self-employed.

My mom has been shopping again. I haven't seen what she bought this week, but she said there were more clothes and more blankets. Keep checking back-- I hope to have some pictures up soon for some of the recent shopping spree purchases! I wonder what she would do if we could possibly come up with the extra fees to get twins?! Just kidding! Really, I don't think that is an option for us, but a girl can dream can't she? :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I spoke to a guy that went to China for school. He spoke of the horrors against females young and old. It is great that you guys are giving this human a better life. Good luck! Godspeed.